The Meaning of Wife

As this blog is posting, I am walking down the aisle to marry Chet. Sitting here, a few days before, typing this I can only imagine what my feelings are, what's running through my head, how the butterflies feel. But, I know, our life is going to be amazing.

In the last few weeks, I've been contemplating what the meaning of wife is.

It's such a unique term that brings with it all kinds of patriarchal connotations. But, I'm trying to figure out what it means to me.

Part of it is trying to figure out who my new identity will be. Some of that is wrapped up into my name, but some of it is trying to place my new role. Trying to figure out how becoming a wife changes me, just as Chet is working his way around becoming a husband. It'll be interesting to see what happens on the other side of all this wedding planning business.

I'm excited for the wedding and for the marriage. The planning has been a roller coaster, but I think it will be worth it when it's all said and done. All I wanted was the be married to this man, and I will be, and that is what is important to me. All the drama, all the fanfare, none of that matters. I am not naive enough to expect it to not effect how everything works, but, in the end, it won't matter.

I am married.

I am a wife.

No comments: