Flowers, Catering and the end of my undergraduate life

Currently, there is a lot going on. But, it's not that bad unless I think about it, so I choose not too. That's okay, right?

First topic of the post: Flowers.
These are still a bit up in the air. I'm not really into flowers. They make me sneeze and cost a LOT of money. And, like everything else, we're planning on DIYing the flowers, just because it helps cut the cost down some. Since we were going to handle it ourselves, I had considered scrounging the craft stores for pretty silk flowers that look would good in the center of the table(s). And then, like with everything, I started thinking about having to cut the wire stems and shape them and... my head began to hurt.

But, eureka! Sometime this week, I found this post by A Backyard Wedding. I can't remember how I found it, and I don't really care, at all. I'm just stoked I did.

"Nicole, why on earth are you 'stoked' you found that post?", you may be wondering. Because, dear friend, I get all of my inspiration from blogs. And her wedding = uh-mazing! It was a backyard shin-dig (which you might have guessed), the kind that I would love to have if we had a house, or knew someone who had a house big enough.

But! Within this little treasure of a post, she provides links to The Flower Exchange and to a video on how to create bouquets. Now, the flower exchange seems pretty awesome, and legit. Both of which are good things. She said her experience was good with them and the flowers lasted forever. Yay!!

Centerpiece inspiration:


So, I began browsing. And they have these wedding combos. For example, the one I think we may go with is this:

-100 Roses (your choice)
- 60 stems gerberas (any color choice)
- 10 stems of hydrangeas (only blue or white available)
- 5 Salal Tips
- 5 Bear grass
30 bunches per box
$253.00

We're still trying to figure out the "bunches per box thing". I've sent them an e-mail and am waiting for a reply. But! I think this is awesome.

They also sell Baby's Breath for $10.00 for a bunch of 6 or sixty stems. For this, of course:

via: Once Wed

Next up: Catering
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH. That's about all I can say about that. Actually, it's not.

Since we're going through the university, we have to use the university catering. No problem. When they want to, they're food is delicious. Absolutely delicious. We're not talking about any kind of cafeteria-food-that-I-have-to-eat-as-a-freshman-which-makes-me-gain-45lbs*. No, this is good stuff.

If you could ever meet with them. No joke, we've been trying to meet with the catering director since March. She canceled our date in March because she was too busy. She said she would call in a week, and never called. So we called her in April. Set up an appointment, she was too busy, canceled. Said she would call. Never called. (See a pattern evolving?)

So, I called her yesterday and said look, "I'm graduating, we're leaving, we can't be back before July, and then on August 10th, we're leaving the state and won't be back until November... for the wedding." Her response? Oh, well, let's meet at 10. Great! Perfect.

Not even an hour later, she calls us back, and guess what?! She's too busy. But, she can squeeze us in between 4:30 and 5 but closer to 5 because she has another meeting. Are you effing kidding me?

She then asks us if we've looked at their menu online. Online?! (Side note: they have a fantastic option to order your food online and then they verify it and whatever, it's great, when you're planning student organization stuff. Or minor events.) My response, which was a bit curt, was along the lines of: this is a wedding, we need to discuss what we want, alcohol service, set up, our cake service, etc. I cannot do that online, we have to talk to you, in person; is there anyone else we could meet with? She said that it had to be her because she didn't know who would be there in November.

So then she gets all nosy and asks why we can't be back in Huntsville before July, don't we live here. And I explained that we do, but we're graduating and moving, so it's not possible. And then she said well, you're moving back in August? NO!!!!!!!! WE'RE MOVING OUT OF STATE! Oh, well why are you having your wedding here.

I was speechless. But, I persevered. However, we're not meeting with her until July I guess. Whatever. Chet suggested calling someone we know who is higher up and having her tell us what to do. Despite how annoyed I am with the catering director, I don't want to get her into trouble, which that very well may. Any suggestions?

Edit: she called us back and said that we could meet Friday or Saturday. Really? She made it sound like it was so difficult for her to meet with us, and she's such a martyr for doing it with commencement. Yeah, well lady, I'm graduating with family coming in. I can't meet with you. Perhaps we should have done this in April, no?

Finally: Life as it it.
Y'all can skip this part. It's just me being sentimental, a bit. No really, just go comment and don't worry about this part.

I'm officially done with my undergraduate work.... and I don't know how I feel about it. I've been waiting for this moment for about 4 years, but now that it's here, I'm nervous! I don't know what's coming up next or what to expect. I am going to miss my friend severely. It's going to be so strange to have to write a new script for my life, and I don't know how ready I am to do it. I try not to get all sentimental, but still... oi vey.

And besides that, I'm packing, and dealing with moving and everything. We've just about sold all that we wanted to sell, which I am so happy about. Now we have to put our lives from the past three years into carefully marked boxes so they can being their journey to my parent's home and then Lincoln. It's all just very, very weird. How do y'all cope with big life changes?

*Yes, it really did. Bastards.

1 comment:

Ashton said...

I like the photo cube and understand why you don't want to mess with flowers... pain in the ass for real.

The catering business. I hate the people at aramark. They are all bitches. Sorry you have to deal with them.

And last, congrats on graduating, and sorry it has taken me forever to catch up on your blos.